Hair are very atypical feature of mammalian groups. Hair have been a sign of attraction for both men and women. Nowadays, people are ready to spend a great pay packet to hair care. About the globe, people have a great obsession for hair and its care. This industry is rising day by day to accomplish the requirements of people.
In general, we mostly observe hair related problems which are:
- Hair loss
- Premature graying of hair
- Androgenetic Alopecia
So, following are the drugs to deal with them and promote growth of hair:
Corticosteroid is a class of steroid hormones that is produced in the adrenal cortex of vertebrates. Corticosteroid therapies comprise of injections or topical application. However, this is taken extensively for the treatment of alopecia areata. And injectable steroids are the first-line treatment in localized conditions and are usually better than topical corticosteroids.
Corticosteroid for hair growth:
- For alopecia areata, corticosteroid are considered to reduce the swelling around the hair follicle. Topical steroids for this are available in various brands, strengths and preparations, such as injections, tablets, creams, or ointments.
- Studies have revealed that there is a decrease in loss of hair while using topical steroids. Additionally, enhanced regrowth has been found with the use of potent topical corticosteroids.
- The usefulness of topical corticosteroids is confined by their absorption in the scalp.
Minoxidil is basically an anti-hypertensive peripheral vasodilator drug. Minoxidil (known as a potent vasodilator), when applied to the scalp act as a dilator of scalp’s vessels. With this, there is an increase in the scalp’s blood circulation, oxygen and nutrient supply to the hair follicles which further helps to boost the hair growth. Minoxidil for hair loss can be used by both men and women.
Minoxidil for hair growth:
- It is a hair growth promoter, used to treat androgenetic alopecia (AGA) that replaces peach fuzz by thick hair (terminal hair).
- It is said that the method for hair growth shows indirect action on adenosine receptor of hair dermal papilla cells, stimulating hair growth function of adenosine.
- A randomized clinical test set that adenosine stimulating action of minoxidil was capable and safe hair growth promoter for androgenetic alopecia (AGA).
Finasteride is a specific inhibitor of type II 5 alpha reductase an enzyme which is responsible for the conversion of testosterone to DHT (dihydrotestosterone). DHT is the main cause of hair fall. Finasteride as ‘Proscar’ is used for Benign Prostate Hyperplasia and ‘Propecia’ is used to treat male pattern baldness. Finasteride is only used by men and is not recommended by women. Women who are pregnant should not even touch the tablets or crushed tablets as it can absorb through the skin and can harm the fetus.
Finasteride for hair growth:
- This causes the regulation of dihydrotestosterone by converting testosterone to dihydrotestosterone. It acts on binding site of DHT and further stops its transmission to hair follicles. Otherwise, DHT would have cause shrinkage of the same with the shortage of growing phase.
- It acts on hair follicles, which are genetically predisposed and are liable to cause miniaturization (Hair fall).
- By blocking the DHT production, it reverses the harmful effects of DHT on hair follicles and promotes the hair growth.
Drug named Dutasteride, was initially used to treat the enlarged prostate in men, but now is a clinically proven drug for hair loss issues. Like Finasteride, Dutasteride is also known as an inhibitor of enzyme 5 alpha-reductase, which converts testosterone into dihydrotestosterone or DHT.
Dutasteride for hair growth:
- Further, it aids to end the production of dihydrotestosterone, that shows the way to follicle shrinkage plus hair loss in men who are genetically liable to be responsive to it.
- The anti-DHT effect of dutasteride helps in stabilizing hair thinning and hair loss. And also helps to check further deterioration of the affected follicles of the scalp and hairline. This is applied straight to the affected area in order to help and accelerate the hair growth.
All the drugs mentioned above have to be taken only after consulting the physician. According to the diagnosis of a physician, treatment regimen has to be built and followed. Never adhere to self-medication.