Are you someone who is suffering from a severe mental health issue? Has it gotten so bad that you’ve explored alternatives to traditional counseling such as online therapy? If your answer is yes, below are a few tips you should follow in order to make the experience a good one. Taking Plunge? Seeking the help of an online therapist, there are a few general things that you need to keep in mind so that you feel prepared for online therapy. Following the tips would be helpful for both the provider of the therapy and for the client (i.e. the receiver of the therapy).
If you browse through E-counseling.com’s recommended services and visit those sites, you will be able to get an understanding of the therapists prior to signing up for an account. This is important considering you will be opening up on a very personal and intimate level. That said, here are a few tips that you should take into account.
1. Make sure you give yourself enough time before you join the session and once you join, be 5-10 minutes ahead of time. This will give you enough time to stay settled and go through the steps in a rather relaxed way than running late and hurrying up.
2. Ensure that the room you sit in is quiet enough and don’t forget to wear your headphones so that you can hear clear sounds. Also take care of the fact that not much is going on around you when you speak with the therapist.
3. There should be enough light in the room and make sure you turn on the lamp or the light so that you can have enough light coming from the window. This will let your client see you in a proper way and the camera should also be held in the right position.
4. Position yourself perfectly in front of the camera and make sure you look directly into the camera. This is a tough thing as majority of the cameras are positioned at the top of the screen. You have to learn the best video etiquette to know how you should look at the eye of the camera.
5. Your family members shouldn’t be streaming YouTube or Netflix services during the session of the video unless you know you have enough bandwidth to give enough streaming services all at once.
6. Mute your mobile phone and give the clients undivided attention. If your cellphone starts ringing all of a sudden, this will be a huge distraction.
Therefore, when you’re wondering about the ways in which you can make sure you derive success from online therapy, you can follow the above listed tips.