NAKIVO Backup and Replication is an all-in-one solution designed to back up, replicate, and recover VMs and cloud instances. The new version 8.1 changes the traditional concept of back up. It uses Policy-Based Data protection. You can set up policies for the data protection and have the corresponding VMs protected automatically.
It is a server application that can be installed on a virtual or physical machine. The design of the product makes sure the CPU and RAMS usage maximum to achieve the top speed of VM backup, replication and recovery. Therefore it is necessary to install product components on a machine.
NAKIVO Backup and Replication v8.1 Components:
The following components can be installed on a single machine or can be distributed across multiple machines and locations.
- Backup Repository
The director is the central manager of the NAKIVO Backup and Replication. It provides the web interface, discovers and maintains the inventory, provides the ability to create and run jobs, manages backup repositories and transporters, and so on. A single director can handle multiple geographically distributed virtual or cloud environments, backup repositories and transporters.
Transporter performs backup, recovery, data compression, deduplication and encryption. Basically, without Transporter, no one can do anything. The default transporter is called onboard Transporter, it is an instance of the Transporter which is installed along with Director to enable backup, replication and recovery.
Some features of Transporter
- One Transporter can process multiple source disks (6 by default) simultaneously.
- To distribute the workload, you can deploy multiple Transporters.
- Deploying multiple Transporters enables network acceleration and AES 256 encryption of the traffic between the transporters.
During the deployment of multiple Transporters in the environment, it is important to determine which one will be doing which task. By default, the product determines this using proximity of a Transporter to the source server.
A Backup Repository is a folder used to store the backups. You have to add the Backup Repository to the product. Then it creates “NakivoBackup” folder in which all the backup data and metadata is stored. By default, it is created when Director and Transporter are installed. It can store up to 128 TB of data in a single Backup Repository. The number of backup repositories per installation is limited. Each repository is managed by a single Transporter. The Transporter is responsible for all the interaction with the repository.
Some System Requirements
Supported Hypervisors and Clouds – AWS EC2, Microsoft Hyper-V 2016, 2012(R2), 2012, VMware vSphere v4.1-v6.7
Hardware – Director and Onboard Transporter – CPU – x86-64, 2 cores, RAM – 4GB + 250MB for each current job, Free Space 1 GB, Transporter only – CPU x86-64, 2 cores, RAM 2GB +250MB for each current job, Free space – 1 GB
Network Attached Storage – CPU – x86-64 or ARM, 2 cores, RAM – 2GB, Free Space – 1GB
NAKIVO Backup and Replication v8.1 Improvements
1. To ensure a secure HTTPS connection for an instance of the product, TLS/SSL certificate can be installed.
2. Multiple Jobs can be enabled or disabled using CLI or API.
3. You can filter the events by dates and a search string.
4. With the drill-down approach implemented, system settings can be accessed and identified easily.
5. Major Vulnerability issues are fixed using the upgraded Apache Tomcat engine (Version 9.0).
6. An option is added to system settings for checking RAM on target host to be sufficient for recovery and replication jobs.
7. A live progress bar is implemented for reflecting backup export in the product activities.
8. Minimum space can be configured for the product folder in the expert mode.
9. You can now remove all the events in the expert mode.
NAKIVO Backup and Replication is a modular solution and it can be installed on a single machine or it can be distributed horizontally. For a single site deployment, it is enough to install both the Director and Transporter on a single VM within your infrastructure. If you have to replicate it over a WAN, install the Director and Transporter on one site, and at least one Transporter on all the other sites. These were some necessary system requirements, components, and some of the improvements in version 8.1.