Cakes are usually loaded with saturated fat, sugar for which cakes are never considered as part of a healthy diet. But the fruit cakes like chocolate raspberry cake, pineapple upside down etc are reconsidered a less harmful as they might have unexpected health properties that you may find while indulging in its good taste.
Fruit cakes have their origins back to the 18th century, where it was indulged in special occasions by the ancient Romans. The ingredients of their cakes were a mix of barley, pomegranate seeds, nuts, and raisins and these were stuck together using honey. It was considered a rare delicacy as these ingredients were expensive and rare in the old markets. Today’s fresh fruit cake is considered as a traditional treat and also as a symbol of celebration in almost every occasion.
One-ounce of fruit cake contains more than 90 calories, 72% of which comes from carbohydrates, the rest of the calories are made of fat and a very little amount of protein. Fruit cakes are rich with Baking soda (Sodium bicarbonate).
Have you ever wondered what are the health benefits of Fruit Cake?
Fruitcakes contain a fair amount of alcoholic substance and nutmeg which can induce calmness and a good night sleep reducing anxiety uplifts your mood instantly. Fruitcakes are good source of antioxidants. Additionally it contains raisins to control sugar. Fruit Cakes with egg helps our body to gain protien. Compare to eggless fruit cakes these cakes are more soft and tasty. Non-veg Cakes are rich with Calories, Carbohydrates, Dietary Fiber and Protein.
Fruitcakes generally contain an ample amount of dried fruits and nuts which are more condensed than fresh ones, highly enriched with the nutritional base of fibre, vitamins and minerals. Dried fruits are helpful for Nutrients, Haemoglobin, Strengthen your Bones, Promote Weight Loss, Improves Skin Quality and Improves Memory. Fibre contains in fruits prevent our skin from early aging, wrinkles and fine lines.
The mix of dried fruits in a fruitcake contains antioxidants, particularly polyphenols which is claimed to reduce the risk of diseases like cancer, obesity, diabetes. Fruit cakes are very good source of nutrition for pregnate women. Fruits contain folate (folic acid) that helps the body to form red blood cells. Fruits are rich with vitamin C. Regular in-take of various fruit cakes helps for strong immunity.
Consuming a piece of fruitcake in the morning as a healthy energy booster is good due to its dense caloric package of dried fruits which contain little or no fats and are regarded as a natural source of energy for players and kids. During your kids birthday parties rather then a choclate cake prefer fruit cakes.
Ingredients of fruitcakes like raisin and nutmeg are considered as a natural herb to reduce cholesterol, heart diseases and also keep your digestive system healthy. Sometimes fruitcakes contain fresh seasonal fruits and berries like blueberry, raspberry, strawberry, blackberry enriched with the goodness of vitamins minerals.
Let’s talk about the various Flavours of Fruit Cakes
- Mango cake topped with freshly sliced mango.
- Apple cake topped with slices of apple and caramel icing.
- Avocado cake whose primary ingredient is avocado.
- Banana cake where banana is used instead of egg to stuck other ingredients.
- Bara brith is made with a lot of Raisins, currants and candied peel.
- Bibingka is made with healthy ingredients like Coconut milk and rice flour.
- Brazil nut cake, prepared using Brazil nuts as a primary ingredient.
- Buccellato is made like ingredients Honey, Marsala wine, aniseed, and raisins.
- The cassata cake, layered with ricotta cheese topped with candied fruit depicting cherries and slices of citrus fruit.
- Chestnut cake is Chinese cuisine, prepared using chestnuts or water chestnuts as the main ingredient.
- The main ingredient of traditional Christmas cake is dried fruit such as sultanas or raisins; cinnamon, treacle, cherries, and almond; is quite often topped with icing and comes with a label of “happy Christmas”.
- Cucumber cake, prepared with cucumber as a primary ingredient.
- Date and walnut loaf made with Dates, walnuts, treacle, and tea.
- Fat rascal is a medium-sized American cookie made with healthy ingredients like Dried fruit, peel and oats.
- Eggless fruit cake is made with Sugar, cinnamon, milk, raisins, nuts, cherries and butter.
- Plumcake is a fruitcake prepared with dried plum and spices in England since around 1700. dried fruits, raisins are its primary ingredients.
- Upside-down cake is flipped upside-down before serving. Usually made with fruit, particularly pineapple.
Thus, eating fruit cakes can provide you with innumerable health benefits and help your body stay fit. Anti-oxidants from Fruit Cakes nourishing the skin and hair. With your regular diet plan include fruit cake at least twice a week. After eating fruit cakes it much healthy if you drink a glass of little warm cow milk.