Ultrasonic Sensor Solutions are the most important instruments as far as electrical and electronic applications goes. They help detect a variety of variables based on the type of device used. This makes them suitable for several different applications. The technology used to make the gadgets is also subject to evolution to fit the changing needs. One of the most common types is the ultrasonic kind.
They have been around for a long time and have still managed to maintain their popularity because of their capabilities. This article talks about how they operate, advantages, disadvantages and applications. You can check out SensComp Sensor Solutions and get your questions answered.
How do they Function?
Ever wondered how bats manage to find their way around even though they lack a comprehensive kind of vision? The answer is echolocation. They produce high frequency sounds that comes back when an object is encountered and so this way, they are able to identify and avoid the obstacles in their path. Theoretically, Ultrasonic Sensor Solutions works based on the same principle of echolocation. The gadget emits a high frequency pulse that is of the ultrasonic range, hence the name. This travels through air and bounces back when it meets an obstacle.
Knowing the speed of sound through air to be 343m/s and the time taken for the sound to travel and bounce back, the distance can also be determined. This is done by multiplying the speed by the time taken.
In application, the device has both a transmitter and receiver. These are designed to either be as close to each other as possible or are combined into a single module to reduce error margins. Otherwise, the recorded time taken will be inaccurate and this will result in miscalculation of the distance.
Other than that, other factors that need to be taken into consideration are the beam angle and spread. Narrow spread is good for detection over a long range while wide one is suitable for shorter ranges. The latter is more affected by the issue of energy dissipation hence the suitability for short range applications.
You can decide to either buy the required components then assemble them by yourself or purchase an already assembled board containing the components. For flexibility in terms of freedom of customization you should opt for the first option.
It allows you to tailor the board according to your specific task. However, if you intend to use it for generalized tasks then the other option will do just fine. This will also save you time that would have been used on assembling the components.
What are the Pros and Cons of Ultrasonic Sensor Solutions?
1. It Functions independent of Color and Opacity – This is because it operates based on the principle of echolocation, which uses sound. The reflection of sound is not affected by the color of the material as is with light. It also gets reflected on transparent and opaque materials alike. Therefore, this type of sensor has a wide range of use.
2. It is Affordable – As opposed to other types of electronic sensors, this one is inexpensive. This can be attributed to its simplicity in terms of the components. There are no special materials required for it to operate.
3. It is Reliable – For industrial applications and critical missions, a stable instrument that has been tested and proven to be reliable is required. An ultrasonic sensor can be relied on due to its capabilities.
It has been in use for a very long time hence the technology used is well-developed. It is not disposed to failures as is with some instruments. With a few modifications, it is able to withstand electrical noise and also results of unfavorable weather conditions such as condensation. This further widens the range of its application because it suits a variety of conditions.
4. Good Performance – It scores well in terms of the metrics used to measure the performance of such devices. It is capable of making highly precise measurements and is also flexible. The flexible modules allow customization to measure long ranges.
1. They Cann’t Operate in Vacuum – This is because they depend on sound which requires medium like air to travel.
2. Can be affected by Weather Conditions – Travelling of sound through air is affected by humidity. It traverses faster when humidity is high and slower when humidity is low. Temperature is another factor that affects the transmission. It is fast in high temperatures and slow in low temperatures. Thus, variation in weather conditions can affect its operations.
3. Too large for Small-sized Projects – This is particularly true where embedded systems are involved.
4. What are some of the Application Areas? – There are lots of tasks that make use of Ultrasonic Sensor Solutions. Here are some of them.
5. Obstacle Detection – This mostly covers navigation. Vessels can detect obstacles on their path and take the appropriate action to avoid them. It is also useful in deep-sea fishing where the device is used to locate dense groups of fish. All these are done on the basis of measuring the distance or the range.
6. Level-Sensing – Industrial applications entail the use of various systems that require regulation. The gadget is used to measure variables such as level of liquids thereby enabling process control. This is very convenient considering that they don’t have to get in contact with the liquid.
7. Automation – Manufacturing industries utilize the devices to automate various processes hence enhancing efficiency and productivity. A lot of robotics applications use these sensors to get the job done. Click here to read more insights about ultrasonic sensors.
Ultrasonic Sensor Solutions are popular in various applications as a result of their capabilities. Their principle of operation is simple and doesn’t require any special equipment. This makes them affordable hence a cost-effective choice. They come in handy for level-sensing of liquids in industrial plants due to their high precision measurements and the fact that they don’t get in contact with the liquid. Being in use over the years has allowed identification and correction of vulnerabilities in the technology used hence making it stable and reliable. When purchasing, pay attention to the various specifications such as beam angle and spread.