Loose motions is one of the most frequent conditions experienced in day to day life. If you’re wondering how to stop loose motions, here’s your guide to not have to deal with this mild case of diarrhea anymore.
There are several causes for loose motions, some of the most common causes of loose motions are as follows:
- Poor Dietary Choices
- Food Poisoning
- Side effects of Medications
- Lactose Intolerance
- Laxative Abuse
If you’re already going through the experience now, here’s a guide on not just avoiding these instances altogether but also treating it effectively.
Let us first address some of the typical symptoms of loose motions:
- Pain or Cramps in the Abdomen
- Soft Stools
- Stools with no defined Shape
- Fatigue and Nausea
- Dehydration (signs of dehydration include feeling excessively thirsty, having a dry mouth, feeling dizzy and urinating infrequently)
- Blood and/or Mucus in the Stools
Please keep in mind that loose motions repeatedly and watery in nature could infact be a case of diarrhea.
If you experience any of the symptoms listed above, the good news is that loose motions are easily curable and here’s how to treat loose motions:
1. Consuming probiotics will help to restore the good bacteria in the gut. While there are medications that provide probiotics, they can also be found in certain foods such as cottage cheese, kefir, kimchi, kombucha, green olives, and aged soft cheeses. One of the advantages of including probiotics in your everyday diet is that they can also prevent future episodes of loose motion or diarrhoea.
2. The BRAT diet: Bananas, Rice, Apples, Toast and other bland easy to digest food. Consuming these bland and easy-to-digest foods to stop loose motion will help in binding and firming up the stools.
3. Maintaining a good level of hydration and electrolyte balance. Electrolyte waters such as coconut water, vitamin water, juices, clear soups or broths are excellent foods to treat dehydration caused by loose motions. Make sure you increase your consumption of these liquids to prevent dehydration.
4. Avoid food triggers like broccoli or cauliflower on an irritated stomach. Also try and avoid spicy food, sugary food or beverages and any caffeinated product.
You may want to treat loose motions at home first, if that’s the case, some of the Indian Foods that act as natural home remedies in order to learn how to stop loose motions and treat loose motions at home. They are as follows:
- Curd Rice
- Coconut Water
- Ginger Tea
- Rice Porridge/Kanji
- Mint/Cinnamon/Honey Tea
Let us also look at some of the ingredients so that we know how to stop loose motions effectively at home:
- Cumin Seeds
- Fennel Seeds
- Mint leaves
For many people, this condition is fixed through lifestyle and dietary changes. However, if this persists and you continue to experience these symptoms even after incorporating the natural remedies, then visit a doctor or consult a doctor using a doctor online app to avoid serious weakness or dehydration.